Welcome to the first Only a Game minigame! We've been enjoying some rousing debate about EA, and it inspires me to have us play a little game to weigh EA's corporate soul, in the grand tradition of Anubis weighing the souls of the dead.
Disclaimer: This game is for entertainment purposes only, and should not be used to establish the real weight of EA's soul!
How to Play
1. Players decide whether they weigh EA's soul as Good or Evil. They then post a comment explaining their decision, and their reasoning.
- When someone weighs EA's soul as Good, I'll repost with an extra Angel icon.
- When someone weighs EA's soul as Evil, I'll repost with an extra Devil icon.
- I'll also write a generalised version of the point raised by the icon.
3. Only entirely new points will be counted! (I am the arbiter of what constitutes a new point).
4. Players may only score one point each, but if their point is rejected they may try again. Players may recruit supporters for their cause on their own blog or elsewhere.
5. Next Friday morning when I wake up, the game will end.
- If there are more Angels than Devils, everyone who weighed EA's soul as Good wins!
- If there are more Devils than Angels, everyone who weighed EA's soul as Evil wins!
To get the ball rolling, I am going to give EA's soul 1 Angel and 1 Devil. Best of luck!
And remember, this is just for fun! I will accept all issues, no matter how petty or ridiculous, as long as I deem them as new points. So if you want to give EA a Devil because you cut yourself on their shrinkwrap, or give EA an Angel because of that cute artist you met at GDC - it's all fair game!
The Weight of EA's Soul
Will Wright, and all his marvellous games
Hire people with amusing voices
Polished products make everyone try harder
Policy of "corporate sponsored exploration"
Structured work environment
Smallest investor in original games of all major publishers
Confuses emotional content with graphical quality
Bad reputation for development sweatshops
Scorched Earth policy (Origin, Bullfrog et al)
Monopoly on sports licences reduces game quality
Final Totals: 7 Angels, 6 Devils
EA's Soul: Glows slightly
This minigame has now ended - it seems that despite EA's flaws they still manage to be a slight force for good as well! Congratulations to the winning side - Neil, zenBen, translucy, Colm, Darius, and Chico! You saved EA's corporate soul from being eaten by crocodiles or something. Good job!
Comments to this post are now closed. If you wish to comment, please feel free to do so in the Green Room. And thanks for taking part!