Five weeks to GDC, and I need to get my head back into thinking about games for a while. I'm not saying I won't diverge onto other topics, as I most assuredly will, but it would be good if I could stay with play and games for the next month or so. So what game thoughts do I have rattling around?
- On the subject of GDC, I am pleased to announce that I made it onto a panel this year. Finally, I get my GDC pass for free, after years of being registered as a speaker but still having to pay. I'll write more about this panel once a few more details have settled.
- Where are the reviews of Play with Fire? I haven't seen any yet.
- Playing a lot of Tetris on the DS with my wife at the moment, it's not the first time in my life that this game has occupied a large amount of playing bandwidth (playwidth?). If one counts all of the iterations of the game, has it sold more than Super Mario Bros. i.e more than 40 million units? The Gameboy version alone racked up 33 million unit sales. Is the secret of its success that of the first mover - the Genre King effect, as Danc puts it - or is there something more fundamental behind its impressively wide appeal? I suspect the latter, but the former effect is hard to eliminate.
- Just reached the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess... The more puzzle-focussed the play of this Zelda game has been, the less I've enjoyed it. Really, I'd like more excuses to ride Epona and fewer play-halting braincrunches.
- I haven't turned on the PS2 in more than a month now (since getting the Wii, in fact). Am I really going to return to any of those PS2 games in my 'Currently Playing' list...? Starting to doubt it.
Feel free to prod me with game-related thoughts. I could use the impetus!