There's much I would like to post about this week, but time is short, and the process of moving colliding with my workload exhausts my remaining hours. I'll try and get up a few more posts before Friday; afterwards, blogging will be suspended until the far side of GDC. A few short comments...
- We finished Twilight Princess yesterday. If I had time, I would dig into a critique of the design of this game, but I think on the whole this is an impossibility right now. Although I thoroughly enjoyed it, and have the greatest of respect for Eiji Aonuma and his team, I cannot shake the sense that while the Zelda games continue to improve, it is harder for established fans to be impressed by the newer titles, as so much that happens is reiteration of the essential structure. Classic though this structure is, it is clearly time for the franchise to experience some reinvention; Miyamoto-san has already said as much.
- We won't be taking our Wii over to the US; does this mean we have to lose all our Miis? If anyone knows how to get Miis off a Wii, please let me know.
- Played Car Wars on Sunday for the first time in years; a healthy dose of tabletop battle nostalgia. It is amazing how time consuming the games of this era were, but it in no way dulled my enjoyment of them at the time.
- An Elric movie was announced in 2003, but there's no listing for this project on the IMDB... I assume this is languishing in production limbo, but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
- As a leaving present, one of my friends spearheaded the making of some beautiful hexagonal boxes for Black Sun and Lost Island. I'll try and get a picture up at some point.
More soon, I hope...