What is the verb for ceasing to pause? Unpause? Depause? I guess the language hasn't caught up the culture on that one.
Back from San Francisco, where I renewed an old friendship, and met up with newer friends. I showed projects to publishers, and lectured to AI experts. I ate magnificently well in a half dozen different cuisines, and also, sadly, at The Olive Garden – but at least I ate there with a delightfully amiable crowd, including an Only a Game stalwart that it was a pleasure to meet in corporeal form, so to speak.
A few random thoughts, as is my wont:
- Having limbered up a month, we are now ready to get down to some serious intrigue in the Ethics Campaign. This week, we’ll go over a key idea from Kant; something that should allow us a little firmer foundation to our discussions...
- I finally got a functioning PAL to NTSC convertor so we can play our European games consoles. Getting this – at a price of more than $160 – drove home to me just how little interest I have in the power consoles, except perhaps as platforms to develop on. What exactly is it about the failure-prone Xbox 360 or the hugely expensive PS3 that puts me off...? I think it’s just the lack of anything on them that I might actually want to play.
- Meanwhile, the wait for something to make the Wii worth plugging back in continues.
- I am considering buying a new console though – or rather, an old one. It’s almost time for me to get my own Xbox. At less than $100, and games from as little as $5 a piece, there’s never been a better time to purchase an ugly giant brick of a machine. And best of all, no money at all goes to Microsoft – only to my local game retailers, bless them all.
- I read Kierkegaard’s Fear and Trembling while in California; I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get to it. I’ll probably review it in the not too distant future, and I’ll definitely be getting more of his work – I had no idea there was a Christian existentialism before Sartre’s vanilla existentialism. I still have much to learn.
PS: Jack, where are you? Hope all is well.